Ligaments and tendons are made up of connective tissues that are fiber in shape. There is nothing similar about tendons and ligaments. Both of them have different roles and functions in the human body. However, when a person suffers from tendonitis or ligament tear, the physiotherapy and treatment are almost the same.
What Are Ligaments?
Ligaments attach the bones to help soothe the joints. They look like bands in crisscross form. They are strong, but sudden forces and strain can damage the ligaments. This generally happens during a sports injury. When fibers are torn the pain becomes extreme. Sometimes, the lack of blood flow in the tissues makes the tear permanent. This finally results in surgery which is done to remove the torn tissues.
What are Tendons?
Tendons are also fibrous tissues that connect muscles to bones. It helps in the movement of the bone. It is capable of tolerating high stretchable forces. They are similar to ligaments, but ligaments join bone to bone whereas tendons join muscles to bones. Tendon is found everywhere in the body from head to feet. The Achilles tendon is considered the biggest tendon in the body.
Just like ligaments, if sudden force is put on tendons, they can rupture or tear. The result of the torn tendon is swelling and pain. Mild tears can be healed with time and proper rest, but a major tear or tendon break can result in permanent damage and loss of movement permanently. Mild tears can be healed with ointments and ice packs, but major tears will require a splint. Some people use peptide for tendon healing because peptides help in improving muscle mass, immune system, reduce inflammation, tendon and ligament healing from sudden injuries.
What is a Peptide?
Peptides are composed of amino acids which can also be considered as a small protein arrangement. Some of the peptides act like hormones while some act like neurotransmitters. Peptides are safe that helps in controlling and regulating the body while conducting exercise and diet.
With age, our body faces various complications because our growth hormones and other hormones start declining. These hormones help in recovering from any kind of physical injury. Still, these tissues can be repaired with the help of certain peptides. Growth hormones communicate with tissues in the form of growth factors, joint rejuvenation, muscle fibers, and new cells.
Thymosin Beta 4 or TB500 Peptide
Thymosin Beta 4 or TB500 is one of the peptides which is researched a lot in the market and on the web. It helps in repairing and regenerating tissues. It prevents scar formation, cell death, inflammation and microbial growth.
Benefits of TB500
· It heals wounds by collagen production and formation of new RBCs.
· It helps in healing damaged eyes and improves vision.
· It helps repair heart muscles.
Side Effects of TB500
- Fatigue and lethargy
- Immediately after injecting peptides a person may feel postural hypotension which fades in a few minutes.
Peptides are found as dietary supplements or in shakes. However, it is said that peptides don’t function well if taken orally because they’re broken down by the acid present in the intestine before they enter the bloodstream. If you’re using peptides for muscle growth and repair then injecting it is the best and quickest form.
Treatment for Tendon and Ligament Damage
Doctors recommend similar methods for healing tendons and ligaments. If it is a partial strain or sprain you can follow these methods at home, but after confirming with a physician.
- Take ample rest and try not to move the injured part. Keeping the injured area still in one place helps in healing faster, you can also take support of crutches or braces.
- Applying ice on the injured area 2-3 times for 20 minutes every day also helps. This has to be done till it doesn’t heal.
- Compression bandages keep the joints and bruised area compressed and immobile. Wrap it tightly, but not uncomfortably.
- Keep the injured portion higher by placing a pillow underneath or by hanging it. This reduces swelling and helps in healing.
- Pain can be reduced by taking pain killers, but not much. Moreover, applying pain relieving ointments on the affected area also helps.
You should always take a break when you feel pain in any body part, or feel tired and overstressed. Exerting the body can lead to strain and sprain.