Getting diagnosed with breast cancer can be very scary, but you should immediately act on it. There are some types of surgeries that most women with breast cancer can have. The surgeries are different, and based on the breast cancer you have, as well as the situation and reason you want the surgery. For example, you can have a surgery that will:
- Remove as much of the breast cancer as it is possible.
- Help you find out whether the cancer has already spread to your lymph nodes or not.
- Relieve symptoms of advanced cancer.
- Restore your breast’s shape.
Your doctor will recommend certain operations that will be based on the cancer features and your medical history. From those options you will choose the option that makes the most sense to you. It is very important that you are aware of the options you have. If you are interested, you can check out breast cancer surgeon Sydney or choose a local surgeon instead.
Choose the right clinic
Removing breast cancer
- Breast conserving surgery – this procedure is designed to only remove the part of your breast that has cancer. How much breast will be removed all depends on the position and size of your tumor, as well as some other factors.
- Mastectomy – this is a surgery that will remove the full breast, including your breast tissue and sometimes even the nearby tissues. There are a couple of types of mastectomies, and sometimes women can get a double mastectomy, where both breasts will be removed.
Breast-conserving surgery or mastectomy?
Usually, women with early-stages of cancer can choose between these two surgeries. The main advantage of the breast-conserving surgery is that you get to keep most of your breast, but in some cases you might also need to go through radiation. Women who choose to have mastectomy with early stages of cancer, will probably end up not having to go through radiation.
In some cases, mastectomy is a better option, as it does depend on the type of the breast cancer you have, previous radiation treatment, the size of your tumor and some other factors as well. If you are interested to learn more you can check out https://www.bbclinic.com.au/breast-implant-revision-sydney/ or do your research online.
Talk to your doctor
One of the most important things to keep in mind is that the doctor is on your side. So if you would like to learn more about breast cancer and your options, it is important that you talk to your doctor. Only he or she can explain what you can expect, depending on your situation.
Make sure that you have a proper chat with your doctor
Going through breast cancer can be a very difficult time, so make sure that you get support from your family and friends. Make the choices you think are correct, and learn more about the procedures, surgeries and the type of breast cancer you have by talking with your doctor.