Different people prepare differently when expecting a baby. You might find yourself reading countless books and watching many documentaries on the same. You are usually motivated to bring up your child opposite your parents.
The baby then comes sooner, and they sprout into a small person who can process their thoughts and desires in no time. It is normal to feel confused and unprepared because time flies very fast. The pressure might get to you, and you start looking for fellow groups of parents to seek advice. A great alternative to this situation is focusing on being a conscious parent.
What Is Conscious Parenting?
This is a type of parenting often used to refer to a parenting technique where the parent focuses more on themselves and how being mindful can drive them to make positive parenting choices. Instead of striving to fix your child, you focus and look inwards towards yourself.
The technique views children as independent beings who are still developing but can teach parents to be more self-aware. Several parents believe that this parenting model prevents children from having identity crises later in their lives.
As a parent, you can also create strong bonds with your children. This is unlike the authoritative or conditioning model, where the children feel controlled. Some children even start pulling away from their parents as they grow up.
Vital Elements of Conscious Parenting
There are many critical elements when it comes to consciously parenting. Some of them include:
- It would be best to view parenting as a relationship rather than a duty. Parenting is not a one-way transmission process, and parents should look to learn from their children. You should treat your child as an independent person and learn from them.
- Pay more attention to your conduct and language when addressing children. It would help not force behaviors on the children but focus on their self-regulations and expectations.
- A conscious parent should always be ready to let go of their ego, desires, and attachments. They may cloud your judgment when interacting with your child.
- Parents should be proactive rather than reactive. Instead of reacting to consequences, parents should set boundaries for their children ahead of time and use positive reinforcement.
- As a parent, you should look keenly at the events that lead to problems rather than focusing solely on the issue. Focusing on the whole process would give a more vivid picture of the situation.
- Parenting does not only involve making a child happy at all times. Struggles at times can mold a child into a better person. As a parent, you should always be watchful that your needs and ego do not come in the way of the child’s growth.
- It is always crucial for any parent to be there for their child in whatever situations present themselves.
Conscious parenting is one of the many parenting techniques in place. It dramatically resonates with how you think parenting should be done. There is room for disagreement as this is all up to how you feel you should raise your children.
There is no particular style that is perfect compared to the rest. It is vital to learn about all the different philosophies and know which one will suit you better as a person and as a parent. This could shape how your children will parent their children in the future.